the hand of dooser

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Yesterday was another check up. I looked. He said there's only one 'oozy' spot on the index finger that needs looking after. It's ugly. It was time, he said, that i change my own dressings at home. i could get em wet, clean em off and such. then pat em dry and re-dress. "oh yea, shower with em off and get em all nice and wet."

so this morning i embarked on the mission of changing them myself. the ring and long went well. did those at the same time. then it was mr index's turn. i got as far as the tip. then, i noticed the wire moving. holy shit that was scary. mom called up the doc. 'well, maybe it's just the white cap that's moving' i say. try it some more. nope. it's the pin. i could feel it moving too....inside my bone. great. my life is ruined. this is terrible. i had to get off as much band-aid as possible. then i re-bandaged the oozy part. then put some gause over the pin. and tape over the gause as to hold the pin in. it was quite nerve-racking.

at the doctors i tried to undo it myself. i trusted no one playing with a pin in my finger while i'm not on anesthesia. so i cant get the band-aid off entirely myself, so schingo helps but takes it off in such a way that it got caught up with the pin cap and band-aid that was on it. it was moving back n forth while he was doing this, mind you. so then it was all off. he wiggled it. "yep, it's loose." then pulls this 2 to 2.5 inch pin out of my finger. yea, that was def. fun. you should try it. go ahead. im telling you, there's nothing like it.

so now i have some cheap ass finger splint on the finger upside down in an attempt to stabilize it. yea, that feels sturdy. what about when i have to take it off to change the bandage? my finger's f'in fragile....you were the ones telling me about how it'd be limp without something because of the loss of bone.

i would say 'my ass' here, but it's my finger.